Are you living and working your ideal career right now?
For two weeks in mid-December, I picked up my business and brought it to Buenos Aires. I worked from the back balcony a few hours a day and spent the rest of my time exploring the city, language, and culture. This international 'proof of concept' for my business (and life) started a few years ago when I decided I would take charge of my own career and life no matter what the world threw my way.
Your dream might be a lot different -- but if there's a part of your career and life that feels stuck, I invite you to get instant access to my most popular webinar and free downloadable resources for a limited time.
YOU WILL DISCOVER:
The perfect antidote for career boredom, doldrums, and stress.
- A powerful alternative to New Year's Resolutions and tedious Annual Performance Plans: we'll go deep in understanding when and why typical goal-setting works against us -- and what to do instead.
- The top 3 roadblocks that happen even to high-achievers and the secrets of those who skillfully avoid career slowdowns without the frustration.
- A step-by-step method to stay in an innovation mindset and create a roadmap that will speed you to your next success.
Just imagine having a systematic roadmap to your next dream career--and the latest tools, research, and mindset shifts to make it happen fast.
current & upcoming programs
I love speaking, writing, and working with other wonderful teachers to bring unforgettable experiences to you. You can book me in-person, or take advantage of my expertise at hosting highly engaging online events and programs.
where to find me in person: scheduled Summer and fall 2018 events
- Innovation360 Accreditation. June 25-27, Washington D.C. I will become a licensed practitioner in the world’s first 360° innovation analytics tool, the InnoSurvey®. Compliant with the upcoming Innovation Standard ISO/TC 279 and CEN/TC 389, InnoSurvey also includes access to Ideation360, the leading ideation platform, and Sherlock, a proprietary deep learning AI platform dedicated to generating insights based on data mining and pattern recognition within the InnoSurvey® innovation database. What this means for my clients is a way to measure innovation capabilities, culture, leadership, and strategy and develop optimal recommendations to get your organization moving in the right direction.
- Up & Down Workshop. August 10 - 12, Vancouver BC. Continuing my own studies in practical neuroplasticity and extraordinary ways of unlocking full body intelligence and capabilities, this immersive experience will add to the resources that I infuse into all my work with clients and students.
- WEFTEC. September 28 - October 3, New Orleans, LA. As a member of the Future and Global Issues Symposium, I will be moderating plenary session 104 titled "The Value of Water and the UN Sustainable Development Goals" and technical session 225 titled "Get Smart: IOT and AI in the Water Utility Sector." (Both sessions are on Monday.)
Step Into Your Genius
Each year I invite only a handful of people into my premium program. You may choose a 12- or 24-week immersion to connect with your deep motivation and create your next dream career, job, and/or life. You'll learn step-by-step from proven techniques and world-class experts to get crystal clear on what you want and why. In live and on-demand online engagement, you will master powerful new abilities in personal, influence, and leadership dynamics that are drawn from the best in the world of science, engineering, business, education, arts, performance, wellness, and more. Check out the results of current and alumni clients, and then contact me to find out if I have space available and if this program is right for you right now.
RAISE: Career Roadmapping Online Retreat
and the JUMP START resources
At least once a year I run a special short course and online retreat that focuses on one element of my Step Into Your Genius program. In the RAISE program, you create a new kind of career and life roadmap and learn what has been keeping you feeling stuck, trapped, or under-appreciated where you are now. With new perspective and insights you will feel reconnected with your spark and have the tools you need to steer your career back to satisfaction and fulfillment.
I've also created a self-study program that is based on the concepts of RAISE and Step Into Your Genius: JUMP START is an on-demand, online course that will lead you through the material at your own pace using a state-of-the-art online course platform. You'll receive all the instruction and guidance through videos and online materials.
Contact me to find out more about RAISE and JUMP START!
Innovation and leadership Workshops
You bring the inspiration and create your experience with the resources and idea engine of the Proficient Ingenuity team. I have hand-selected collaborators and teachers from a wide range of expertise -- business, planning, engineering, science, arts, theatre, hospitality, education, wellness, community -- to work worldwide, co-creating events, workshops, and courses and offering creative, results-oriented energy to infuse into your project, program, or goals. Let's create some unexpected mash-ups across disciplines and cultures that shift your perception, spark innovation, and light up real dialogue and understanding around personal and organizational ingenuity. Check out some results and feedback from recent events.
SPEAKING AND WRITING
As an experienced speaker and writer, I am available for keynote speaking, panels, workshops, interviews, and similar engagements. Check out some recent feedback here. I also write white papers, articles, blog posts, and other published materials. My most popular topics include:
- Perspectives on innovation leadership and creating an innovation culture
- Top insights into true leadership, career enhancement, and personal transformation as proven by my clients
- Smart cities, digital transformation, and the impact of data analytics & machine learning
- Innovation for water utilities
- Emerging science in stress physiology and neuroplasticity that is at the core of my approach to leadership development
- Strength, risk, and reinvention: an aerialist's unique view of the world
- Hospitality and the MBA I earned as a regular
FREE and on demand
Take advantage of these free webinars from 2017.
- Do you want to be an innovation leader?, which serves as an introduction to my signature Step Into Your Genius programs.
- How to know you've got the right people, doing the right things, at the right times.
- Planning Sustainable Infrastructure, a free ENR/Procore webinar that followed up an interview for this ENR article.
three step springboard for organizations
One of the most prominent measures of success within an organization is the ability to lead strategic shifts while continuing to meet the demands of day-to-day operations.
I am available to support you throughout the process of developing and implementing your strategic initiatives and programs, offering an outside perspective on the best way to adapt based on weekly progress; specific tools and techniques to gain engagement from your leadership, staff, and community base; and more. Having worked within and alongside hundreds of organizations, I’ve developed this signature springboard approach to take you step-by-step through a flexible process. It is based on setting aside manageable amounts of time to regularly evaluate progress and measure continuous improvement.
A phased approach like this starts where you are and allows you and your team or organization to grow the benefits over time. This will ensure that your influence will be lasting and the positive impact of your leadership and vision will be fully realized.
As of June 2018 I am also an Accredited Practitioner with Innovation360. This means I now bring you best-in-class resources and tools in innovation strategy and management. You may contact me anytime to ask about accessing global benchmarking data and best practices, hosting Innovation Circles, learning more about the Ideation360 crowdsourcing platform, and more. I take great care in every decision I make about serving my clients, and I promise you that adding Innovation360 to the approaches I describe below can measurably uplevel your relevance and success in the months and years ahead.
step 1 find your imperative
Take a fresh look at your organization, group, or team and set the context and direction for the important work to follow. In this step, we will quickly zone-in on your most visible and valuable opportunities. In other words, we go deep on asking the right question and understanding what outcome you want and the real value of achieving that outcome. That gets your team aligned and motivated on why a change/new approach will benefit everyone. By getting organized around your purpose and required outcomes, we’ll find a path for quick wins and how to quantify the benefits it will have to your organization's top goals.
step 2 grow your momentum
Based on the alignment developed in Step 1, we'll launch the next steps or projects that will make the biggest impact to achieving your required outcomes. Whether it's a workshop, roadmap, idea generation, prioritization, or rolling out some strategic building blocks, we'll implement a process and build skills in your team that will serve your goals powerfully over the long-term.
step 3 assure your results
Consistency will help you and your team bring the work from Steps 1 and 2 to life and gain enthusiastic support from your broader community of staff and stakeholders.
Without a doubt, the highest return on investment to ensure consistent, long-term results following Steps 1 and 2 is to invest deeply in building unshakable leadership capabilities at all levels of your team and organization. For this I strongly recommend:
- One-on-one executive strategy sessions with key members of your leadership and implementation team.
- Membership in the Step Into Your Genius advanced leadership and career enhancement programs that provide continued peer and expert support to keep your best talent honing their skills on your organization's most important needs. More information.
My clients are entrepreneurs, intrepreneurs, teams, and groups who want to change something about their careers or organizations. They learn that they need to hone their 'next level' leadership and innovation skills to do it. Click or tap on the photos below to hear from my client ambassadors, who have agreed to share their stories to help inspire others. Then head to Programs to learn a little more. More stories from individuals and organizations coming soon.
some comments from recent Workshop, webinar, and keynote events
I attended the NEWEA/NEWWA YP Summit and your session really clicked with me, especially the "getting to your why" statement. - Chris
During the workshop, I wrote that I wanted to work on increasing collaboration among young professionals in the company. Within a month after the workshop, we began planning a watershed cleanup. On the planning team we have members from almost all of our departments: operations, IT, customer service, and engineering. It’s been a wonderfully collaborative effort thus far and I can’t wait to see where it goes from here! - Nate
I really enjoyed Erin Mosley and the interactive professional development based speakers. - Maya
This was one of the best seminars like this that I have ever been to. I loved the unique improv approach and thought the overall message of the day was very cohesive and empowering. - Amanda
My whole outlook on networking, leadership, and my career has changed as a result of this summit. - Patrick
The speakers this year were excellent!!! - Katie
I was so engaged in your workshop I forgot to take any notes! - Kate
I find many urban development and infrastructure professionals struggle with things like technology and the role it may come to play, but you spoke about these things with eloquence. - Kyle
hello! I'm glad you're here.
I’m all about finding ways to look at, connect, and create things that make life better. My passion and my mission is to work with people and organizations in ways I know will address root issues and find elegant solutions. I am only happy if we're shifting something at the core and seeing astonishing results.
Through coaching and outcome-based approaches that bring out hidden talents and synergies, I work with people who know there is a better way and can have fun with the kind of "You can do this" toughlove, creativity, and mutual support I encourage. You'll love working with me if you believe that:
- Untangling complexity and adapting to change is normal and continuous, a skill that can be honed.
- Creating thriving environments must be grounded with processes that allow freedom to grow.
As a licensed civil engineer, I spent years managing projects that connect people with their environment through public works, engineering, construction, and research. I learned that technical expertise is rarely what gets in the way of a good solution. I moved into management consulting and innovation to help my clients figure out better ways to get complex, important work done.
I’ve worked within and alongside hundreds of organizations: all levels of government from small towns to federal agencies and departments, private companies, educational institutions, and non-profits of many kinds. I’ve been a Vice President and Global Director for a Fortune 500 consulting company (CH2M) and have served as an active volunteer and Board Member for two sizable environmental professional organizations (WEF and NEWEA), the Zofnass Program for Sustainable Infrastructure at Harvard University, and the Razor's Edge theatre festival. I also co-founded and owned a creative space and theatre business.
My recent study and research has brought me across the path of many fine teachers from diverse specialties in relationship dynamics, communication, leadership, and personal development. I'll highlight my one-on-one work with Barb Beck, Elisa Speranza, Brian Mahoney, Tom Kunetz, and Melanie Weller, as well as excellent live and online work with CH2M (LEAD graduate and work with ILDG), ISI (Envision trainer), Shelly Gardeniers (BoardSource), Innovation360, Jeanine Blackwell, Vanessa Horn, Irene Lyon, my aerial studio, Sadie Nardini, NICABM, Carolyn Myss, Brene Brown, and the Hendricks Institute.